Home About Me Resources Freebies

Friday, 31 July 2015

Turn Your Beliefs Into Actions Blog Hop

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”

―Mahatma Gandhi



When I first started teaching I was a very energetic, positive, loving and imaginative teacher. I was trying to be aware of every little detail, read every little facial expression on a student’s face, any small reaction from parents and I always tried to do my very best. I was always fully prepared, organized and excited! A few months after my first lesson one of the older teachers approached me and asked me why I always felt the need to do everything as perfectly as possible and I answered-without thinking- that I was trying to do perfectly because my students deserve nothing less and expect nothing less of me. She looked at me, smiled, hugged me and told me that after a few years I would come to realize that very few students and even less parents actually appreciate what we do for them and that sooner or later I would grow a thicker skin. For hours, even days after that incident I couldn’t get her words out of my head.

Did every child, every parent, every colleague appreciate what I was trying so hard to do? Did they ever consider how many hours I was working after school to organise, prepare and make my lessons thorough and fun? Did they cheer and hug me? I don’t know about some of the parents or some of my colleagues BUT I can honestly say that in these 14 years I’ve been teaching ALL my kids have appreciated my efforts, cheered for my work and hugged me…damn…DID THEY HUG ME!!!

So…14 years later and counting I have yet to grow a thicker skin! I care the same, I try-dare I say- even more and every single time I look at my kids I feel happy!!!
What are my beliefs about education? Well I could say many theoretical beliefs but for me it comes down to these two:
:
•  LOVE THEM
. RESPECT THEM & TREAT THEM AS EQUALS

Click on the image to hop to the next teacher sharing their beliefs!


13 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog post! It's so nice to be appreciated by the kids we teach!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Yes it is! I strongly believe kids always know when you care about them!

      Delete
    2. For definite! Kids are so smart they definitely know when someone cares about them or not! :)

      Delete
  2. Respect them and treat them as equals! I always say as teachers we need to leave our ego at the door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly April! It's not about us, it's about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the respect them and treat them as equals! So important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...two great beliefs!! How very important that we remember that!

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee! I believe kindness and love can go a long way!

      Delete
  6. Love that you pointed out hiw they must be treated with respect! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Respect is absolutely key. Great post!

    Maren @ Malimo Mode

    ReplyDelete